Saturday, October 13, 2007

Finally, a Nobel for Gore

Big news: in case anyone hasn't heard yet, Al Gore was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize yesterday, along with the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (ICCP)! Below is a video of his acceptance speech.


My opinion? Click below.

A few months ago, I wrote an editorial piece for Earthteam entitled, "Why Al Gore Deserves The Nobel Peace Prize." I mentioned all the usual praise used to describe Gore's efforts to combat climate change--his work on drafting environmental policy, his ambitious and symbolic schedule of public appearances and speeches...oh, and that movie. But I stressed in that article--and I still believe this today--that the most important thing Gore has done is effectively presenting climate change as an issue of monumental significance. The simple fact that he has played a part in getting people to talk about global warming, and begin to think about doing something about it before it's too late, is no small accomplishment.

Now that my take on this news has been spelled out in a rather cheesy and one-sided fashion, I'd like to hear yours. Does Gore deserve such an honor? Does he deserve a place among such distinguished past recipients as Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Elie Wiesel, Nelson Mandela, and many other human rights activists? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.

No comments:

Commenting on Dr. Green P's Blog

I'd love to hear your questions or comments about any my posts or environmental issues. To respond, click on comments at the bottom of the desired article you wish to declare an opinion on, and begin writing up your say. A gmail account isn't necessary to comment. Signing in as "Anonymous" or presenting a "Name/ID" works just as well. If you have any other questions or suggestions, please email me at drgreensblog@gmail.com