Saturday, March 6, 2010

March Mushroom Madness

Hello, Environmental Crusaders!

Hopefully everyone has been enjoying the new year and accomplishing whatever New Year's Resolutions they may have set for themselves. I know I am working toward keeping my year-long streak of vegetarianism. It can get hard though, believe me. At times, I find myself craving that In-N-Out cheeseburger, but I find ways of coping. I remember I tried almost every veggie patty the local supermarket could conjure up between its frozen shelves, and to my dismay, none of them satisfied my cravings.

Fortunately, I came across what they call a Mushroom Burger! Now, for those who don't know, mushrooms are actually in season now. Therefore, all the better to indulge in this delectable meat substitute as much as possible before it's too late and they're out of season.

It's fine to go and order the Mushroom Burger when it's available at whatever restaurant you are at, but to make it at home and grill it yourself is all the more gratifying. I have picked out a great recipe to try out from "indobase," so be sure to try it out and experience the surprisingly delicious taste of a burger without any meat!

Mushroom Patties Recipe

Ingredients:
• 450 gm Mushrooms.
• 6 tbsp Vegetable Oil
• 1 large Onion (cut into thin strips)
• 3/4 cup Two-Day-Old Bread (crusts removed)
• Salt to taste
• 2 Eggs (lightly beaten)
• 1 cup Bread Crumbs
• 3/4 cup Sour Cream

Now, take into account that this particular dish is steered more toward the vegetarians, but vegans can substitute eggs for egg beaters and simple veto the sour cream altogether. To start things off, wash the mushrooms and place them in a deep saucepan. We want to always clean our produce before use because even those that are organic carry the risk of containing harmful pesticides or bacteria.

Next add half a cup of water to the saucepan and bring it to a boil. Once the water ha begun to boil, immediately bring it to a simmer for 15 minutes or until the mushrooms are tender. While this is cooking, pour 1 tablespoon of oil into a small skillet with the onions to be sauted for 7-8 minutes.

Tear the bread into pieces and soak it in cold water for 10 minutes. Now squeeze out all the excess liquid from the mushrooms and grind or blend them with the onions, bread, and salt. Add in the eggs (or egg beaters) and mix well. Next refrigerate for 1 hour to firm the mixture, then shape them into 12 oval patties about 3-4 inches long and dip them into the breadcrumbs.

Finally, take a large skillet, heat the remaining oil, add the patties, and fry for 3-4 minutes on each side or until their completely cooked through. You have the option to garnish with sour cream, but don't feel like you must stop there! Go crazy and add lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, mustard, ketchup or anything you'd like. It'll all be worth it when you take a bite out of that mushroom burger and get a taste of heaven. :P

For a complete list of what's in or out of season depending on where you live and what month of the year it is, Click Here!

Peace & Love,
Dr. Green T

Works Cited:
"Mushroom Patties Recipe." Recipes. 10 Jan 2008. indobase, Web. 7 Mar 2010. http://www.indobase.com/recipes/details/mushroom-patties.php.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE CABBAGE <3 I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3

Commenting on Dr. Green P's Blog

I'd love to hear your questions or comments about any my posts or environmental issues. To respond, click on comments at the bottom of the desired article you wish to declare an opinion on, and begin writing up your say. A gmail account isn't necessary to comment. Signing in as "Anonymous" or presenting a "Name/ID" works just as well. If you have any other questions or suggestions, please email me at drgreensblog@gmail.com