Thursday, March 18, 2010

Plastic is NOT Fantastic!

How many of you ever grab that plastic water bottle from your refridgerator and feel a sense of guilt knowing that "roughly 1.5 million tons of plastic are expended in the bottling of 89 billion liters of water each year"? Probably feeling some guilt there by now, huh?

It's ok though! I was once a plastic-water-bottle-user, but I have overcome this serious environmental as well as health hazard toward a better lifestyle in H2O consumption. "Scientists in Germany have found that PET plastics -- the kind used to make water bottles, among many other common products -- may also harbor hormone-disrupting chemicals that leach into the water." Crazy, right?! How about we NOT drink from plastic bottles that have hormone-disrupting chemicals?

Now, you're probably thinking, "Dr. Green T, what CAN we drink our water out of?" Wonderful question! Your best bet is to go for reusable, stainless steel water bottles! Preferably the ones that are BPA-Free like Klean Kanteen which is known as being the healthiest and safest water bottle you can buy! They use toxin-free materials, 100% stainless steel, made to last a lifetime, have fair labor standards, and design their bottles to be as environmental as possible!

Klean Kanteen isn't the only plastic water bottle alternative out there. I currently use SIGG water bottles because they have more attractive designs to choose from. They have been making bottles since 1990, even though their aluminum processing company was established in 1908, and "are manufactured in an ecologically-friendly environment and are 100% recyclable after their very long lives. In fact, most SIGGs in Europe are still being used 10-20 years after purchase." Awesome, right?

With all of this new information being absorbed in your mind, don't you feel the urge to run down to a Sports Basement or open a new window on your computer to locate the best reusable water bottle you can buy! It's an investment you should seriously consider for not only the environment's sake, but for your health as well.

Peace&Love,
Dr. Green T

Works Cited:
"About Us." SIGG, 2006. Web. 19 Mar 2010. http://mysigg.com/index.asp?PageAction=COMPANY.

Sohn, Emily. "Plastic Water Bottles May Pose Health Hazard." Discovery News. Discovery Channel, 28 Apr 2009. Web. 19 Mar 2010. http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2009/04/28/water-bottles-health.html.

"The Effects of Bottled Water on the Environment." AllAboutWater.org, 2004. Web. 19 Mar 2010. http://www.allaboutwater.org/environment.html.

"Why Klean Kanteen." Canvas Dreams, 2009. Web. 19 Mar 2010. http://www.kleankanteen.com/about/kanteen-101/why.html.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE CABBAGE <3 I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3

Commenting on Dr. Green P's Blog

I'd love to hear your questions or comments about any my posts or environmental issues. To respond, click on comments at the bottom of the desired article you wish to declare an opinion on, and begin writing up your say. A gmail account isn't necessary to comment. Signing in as "Anonymous" or presenting a "Name/ID" works just as well. If you have any other questions or suggestions, please email me at drgreensblog@gmail.com