Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Community Supported Agriculture

Hello Everyone,

Community Supported Agriculture (CSA), ever heard of it? I hadn't until just today when my Internship Coordinator pulled out a fresh piece of corn from her lunch bag, and explained how much great produce she was receiving this summer! Let me explain briefly. CSA has become a convenient and popular way for consumers to purchase local, organic produce from a farmer directly over the last 20 years. Basically, a farmer will offer a box of fruits and vegetables that are in season for which a consumer will pay a weekly charge for a nutritious and environmentally-friendly goody bag.

If you check out this site here, you can learn more about the advantages to both consumers and farmers, the shared risk, variations, and more!

My Internship Coordinator explained how she purchases from "River Dog Farms" which is located in Capay Valley; however, they deliver their produce to farmer's markets all over the Bay Area for you to pick up from and enjoy. They pride themselves on growing organic food as their site explains what is organic food, why choose organic, and how to sign up for their veggie box deliveries. Click Here if you're interested to learn more and check out their beautiful photo gallery for a better idea of the concept! :)


In addition to "River Dog Farms," there's the "Full Belly Farms" which is the one I'm signing up for because they have farmer's markets near my apartment and a cheaper, more flexible rate for the veggie box deliveries than "River Dog Farms." However, "River Dog Farms" does have its own qualities that "Full Belly Farms" does not, but my vote still goes to "Full Belly Farms." Anyways, "Full Belly Farms" is also located in Capay Valley, and they sell to both restaurants and farmer's markets. "Full Belly is also home to many outreach activities, including educational tours, school group visits, and the much-acclaimed annual Hoes Down Harvest Festival." Interested in signing up for this veggie box delivery? Click Here.

Hope this blog was educational for many of you because buying from local, organic farms decreases carbon emissions from the trip of delivering produce and prevents the risk of obtaining a disease from pesticides sprayed on your fruit and vegetables. Maybe now I'll see some of you guys at a local farmer's market purchasing veggie boxes! In any case, have a wonderful summer, everyone! :D

Peace&Love,
Dr. Green T

2 comments:

mgibs17 said...

This is a wonderful post. The things given are unanimous and needs to be appreciated by everyone.
--------
marqgibs
Business Savings

Anonymous said...

I LOVE CABBAGE <3 I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3I LOVE CABBAGE <3

Commenting on Dr. Green P's Blog

I'd love to hear your questions or comments about any my posts or environmental issues. To respond, click on comments at the bottom of the desired article you wish to declare an opinion on, and begin writing up your say. A gmail account isn't necessary to comment. Signing in as "Anonymous" or presenting a "Name/ID" works just as well. If you have any other questions or suggestions, please email me at drgreensblog@gmail.com