Thursday, February 14, 2008

Ask Dr. Green: What could we have done better with the SF Bay oil spill?

I got a question from the Green Screen's Tyler Jolley a little while ago, in response to my mini-article on the aftermath of the November oil spill in the SF bay: "I did the original interview about the oil spill right after it happened and well we were cleaning up. Personaly i think we did really good cleaning it up and handling the effects afterwards but i may be wrong do you think we could have done better and if so why would you say that?" In my article, I did say that many people were angry at the way the spill and the clean-up was handled. For the most part, though, I was referring to the efforts of the government agencies that should have been responsible for the clean-up efforts, like the US Department of Fish and Game. The spill was the legal responsibility of this agency, and many people feel that not enough help was provided in cleaning it up. The civilian clean-up efforts were great, I'm not criticizing or degrading them at all. But civilians have limited time, strength, and monetary resources, and thus the job could have been done more quickly, efficiently, and completely had the government stepped in.

Sound off in the comments if you'd like to respond.And here is the rest of it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm Rebecca Scott and I'm in the eighth grade. I have a question. I know we are currently doing a lot to try and help the environment in the United States, but is there anything significant people and even students from different countries are doing to help the fight in global warming?

Commenting on Dr. Green P's Blog

I'd love to hear your questions or comments about any my posts or environmental issues. To respond, click on comments at the bottom of the desired article you wish to declare an opinion on, and begin writing up your say. A gmail account isn't necessary to comment. Signing in as "Anonymous" or presenting a "Name/ID" works just as well. If you have any other questions or suggestions, please email me at drgreensblog@gmail.com